Tuesday, July 18, 2006

sports blog

I'm not exactly a sporty type of person. One can hardly get me into a regular exercise regimen (not even Randy!! ..probably owing to my thyroid problem), and the last time I remember was PE II in UP!! However, I enjoy almost all sports as a spectator.

Basketball
I was into PBA during the height of its popularity, and my team was… you guessed it…Ginebra! Although the last time I really watched it every night was circa Bal David-Marlou Aquino. I’m getting the hang of basketball again now, because of my students competing in the UAAP and WNCAA!! We were in Araneta during the Juniors’ championship last year, where DLSZ won for the first time ever! (But Atkins lost the MVP-ship to a UPIS guy…boo!) I also try my best to watch my students (boys and girls) playing in different events and in cheerdancing.

Imagine my former students now playing for my alma mater! One of my best-loved Jr.C advisory students is now part of the women’s team in UP! Since La Salle was banned from Season 69, three of the members of last year’s champion team are now playing for UP Seniors, too. I must say they are given the breaks they deserve. I have started to become their fans! Let’s all go to their games to show our support!

Football
Not the football played in America! (which Randy so disgustedly points out!) It was only this year that I had the chance to really appreciate soccer (as some people call it). It was Randy’s “fault” actually. He is such a huge fan, that he says if he were born in another country, he would’ve been a professional football player in Europe. When my 2nd cousin who was also my student was still in high school, he was also part of the soccer team, but I watched him sometimes only.

When my cousin and his family visited from the States a few weeks ago, his Puerto Rican wife asked about standings of the FIFA World Cup, and Randy updated her. I realized that it was such a fad in other countries! Besides, the World Cup was “the most coveted cup” that happened only every four years. She was rooting for Mexico then. (in the photo, she and my cousin are at the back of my pamangkins)

Randy took me to National Sports Grill on June 30 to see the Germany-Argentina game. I thought I would sleep through it (because it would be waaaay past my bedtime, hehe), but I was wrong! The crowd of football fans was so fired up, that I felt tired only after the game ended at past 3am.


Two days after, I watched the replay of the Brazil-France game (Randy loved both teams!), where I saw for myself how amazingly talented Zidane was (and verrrrry cute, too)! As is known by now, France beat Brazil and went on to the finals, which Randy made sure we were going to watch live! (the next part deserves another entry :-))...

No comments: