Monday, October 04, 2010

The sweetest sound

I got a ym the other day while I was at work...

Rands: matutuwa ka kay Aren pag-uwi mo
Nades: bakit?
Rands: buo nya na yung “ma-mi”

(in my previous posts I have been open in saying that Aren has not been talking clearly yet, and that I am not worried [yet]. Since he was about 15 months, he has been saying “ma” to refer to me.)

Needless to say, it made my day. Early as it was, I was excited to go home. Finally, it was the moment... Rands asked Aren that night, “sino daw ‘to?" (pointing to me)...

...Aren: “Di yan” (scuttles away)

Yes, the bubble was burst... Aren has learned to say “di yan” earlier than the other words, so he uses that expression often, but it’s cute sometimes. Just not when he is being asked to say “mommy” though. So we didn’t push it. We know him better.

Two nights later, when I came home, he digs into my bag and finds my ID. We were all watching the news, when suddenly i heard it, “Ma-mee.”

My heart leapt!

It took a second for me to realize it, but I’m sure I heard it. He was looking at my picture and recognized me. All I was able to say was “woooooow!” and I hugged him.

It was the sweetest sound I have ever heard in years. Wow, so that was what it felt like...

Since then, he has said it a couple or so times a day. Not really to call me, but when Rands points to my picture and asks him who that is.

No matter... he doesn’t have to call me because my attention is all his every day that I am home.

When my sister heard it, she said, “naku once nagstart na yan marunong magsabi ng mommy...”

I know what she means. I’m not sure I’m ready for that, but so far, I’m loving this new development.

No comments: