Friday, May 05, 2006

daragang magayon


MAYON...not the street next to where I've lived my entire life (hehe)..but the breathtaking (almost) perfect cone volcano in Albay..

When I was a project research assistant fresh from college circa 1998, I was thankful to have been given the chance to conduct fieldwork in almost all the provinces in Luzon (as in yes, I was able to go to almost all, from Ilocos Norte, to Masbate, to Ifugao, and even to the very near province of Rizal! Batanes was out of the question because it was rather expensive and a bit risky.) However, my frustration was Region 5..another group was assigned there.

Randy and I vowed that we will go to Bicol ourselves, if only to see the lovely Mayon. During the long weekend of April 28-May 1, he made my long-time wish come true.

Two days before the scheduled trip, I was texting everyone about recommended accommodations and must-sees in the area. Many people replied (thanks Malu, Ricky, Glads, Sir Arnel, Nadj, Iyee, Mon, Rich, everyone!! Although I didn't get to go to all places you mentioned), but Ms. Angie turned out to be our lifesaver! She gave me her sister's number, whose husband incidentally owned a tricycle in Legazpi. He became our tourguide/service/picturetaker for our entire stay there.

We took the night trip from Cubao, and normally, as all my friends could attest to, I am semi-narcoleptic (if there's such a disorder!), meaning, I fall asleep almost on any surface, in any position, at any weather, at any time of any day in any place, almost instantly, very deeply, without dreams, sometimes with snores, even if it's just as short as a ride from Mabuhay Rotonda to our house, or even in the MRT while standing up! no kidding. This trip was different, though.. I found myself waking up every half hour or so! Talk about excitement!

I hope I do justice to the trip as I try my best to describe it here...

No comments: